Call for Experts
Humanitarian, Development, and Democracy & Governance sectors
Voluntās Meaningful Societies
About Voluntās (Latin: will, goal, purpose, meaning)
Voluntas is a consultancy that puts purpose above profit with a stated purpose of realizing human potential. In our Meaningful Societies center of curiosity, we provide fact-based policy options and recommendations based on extensive research and analysis in fragile and conflict-affected regions. Our goal is to have a positive and sustainable impact on populations affected by crisis to improve their living standards and access to rights. We collect data, conduct analytics, and generate insights for both the private and public sectors. We use our insights to underpin strategic thinking and evidence-based decision-making.
We work extensively in the Middle East and North Africa region with a wide range of clients including UN agencies, international NGOs, major donors, and private companies. We also recently opened offices in Mumbai, Oslo, and San Francisco and are developing our portfolio there.
Our projects focus on policy and programming, research, needs assessments, perception studies, context monitoring, and monitoring and evaluation. We work on thematic areas such as governance, conflict resolution, political economy, migration, prevention of violent extremism, youth, gender, human rights, employment, health, water, food security, and WASH. We provide rigorous statistical analysis, qualitative insights, concise reports and visualize data for easy-to-grasp insights..
You can find some examples of our work here:
- Global Meaningfulness report 2022: Voluntās | Fundamentally changing how human potential is led and realized (voluntasgroup.com)
- UNHCR – BaNVA (Basic Needs and Vulnerability Assessment) for refugees hosted by Sudan:
- Report: Voluntas – UNHCR Sudan BANVA 2021
- Dashboard: Voluntas – UNHCR Sudan BANVA 2021 Dashboard
- IOM Libya Report, Assessment of the Socio-Economic Impact of COVID-19 on Migrants and IDPs in Libya: Voluntas- IOM Libya Covid 19 Socio-economic impact assessment
To support us in delivering our growing portfolio of projects, we are seeking qualified candidates for potential long- and short-term consultancies specializing in one or more of the thematic listed above. Collaboration would be mostly remotely with potential visits to Voluntas’ offices and countries of operations, if relevant.
Please respond to this call if you see yourself in the description below and want to contribute to our work within one or more of the thematic areas mentioned.
At Voluntās we do not have values. We have virtues. The concept of value originates from the language of economics, whereas the concept of virtues originates from the language of morality. Voluntās is not about economics, but all about morality. To thrive with us:
- You put honesty above compassion
- You put self-awareness above self-confidence
- You put facts above emotions
- You put humbleness and hard work above good intentions
Candidates will be expected to provide technical expertise and guidance across various stages of project cycles – from the design of the methodology and instruments to the analysis of findings and recommendations.
- PHD degrees, masters in relevant fields or equivalent based on experience
- At least 5 years of experience in a relevant field (as a researcher or practitioner)
- Knowledge of research methods for social science (sampling, weighting, data cleaning and management, descriptive statistics, inference analysis)
- Excellent written and spoken English; other language skills (Arabic, French, Hindi, Russian, Swahili, Ukrainian, etc.) are desirable
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). Knowledge of SPSS, Tableau, GIS and data visualization software would be an asset.
- High level of personal initiative, accountability, and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
How to apply
Interested professionals must complete the application form carefully and upload a resume (CV) indicating daily rate, and a short cover letter addressing the two points below:
- A time your actions positively impacted a community.
- A time when you felt your expertise made a big difference.
The cover letter and CV must be written in English. Selected candidates will be invited for an introductory talk on a running basis.
If you see yourself working with us, then do not let the fact that you do not check all the boxes keep you from applying! At Voluntas, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and meaningful workplace.